What Exactly is the Meaning of Burnout?
Burnout is a typical type of mental stress. It is directly related to your Service or Occupation. It is also termed as Service/Job or Occupational Burnout.
The main symptoms of occupational burnout are –
Feelings of not been effective
Increase in frustration level
Reduction in efficiency at your workplace
Irrespective of the job category, occupational burnout is found within most of the service professions like – nurses, doctors, social workers, counselors, teachers, etc. One reason for this is the high-stress culture and emotional expectations of the job. The person diagnosed with this burnout finds it difficult to manage his/her own life. Burnout can be viewed as the extended psychological disorder of depression!
The main cause of occupational burnout is the nature of the job. The service employee is constantly juggling long shifts, heavy caseloads/staff shortages, emotional attachments, difficult personalities and a myriad of other factors. Employee burnout is costly to organizations and companies due to reduced productivity of the employees, increased absence, medical costs, disability of the workers, and funding for new recruitment.
What are Effective Strategies to Prevent Burnout?
Though it is not very difficult to overcome the symptoms of Burnout, but strategies must be applied with intention for it to be subdued! All you need is will power, mental strength, and someone to keep you on track! Following are some of the important factors, which you could work on to above burnout and lead an enjoyable and rewarding life –
- Increase Your Ability to Produce Desired Results – A study has shown that there is an inverse relationship between the ‘Ability’ and ‘Stress’. When you increase your ability to produce the desired goal oriented results (Self-Efficacy) then your stress level will decrease. Positively building and strengthening your self-efficacy will decrease your stress level – thus keeping Burnout at bay!
- Observe those colleagues around you, whom you think are successful and not burned out. Stay in touch with them, within the office and outside office as well! This may increase your positive attitude in your work and the environment.
- Identify New & Resourceful Avenues – As you are aware, burnout is related to the mental and emotional state of a person. If you try to work in a closed shell, the chances of you letting yourself out diminish. Hence try to find new avenues, apart from your workplace, which will inspire your imagination and increase your level of relaxing activities opening the door to self-care. This will help in keeping you highly motivated, happy, and less stressed.
- Identify A Close Person with Whom You Can Share Your Personal Feelings – Never try to avoid talking to people. Be talkative, but with the right people. At your workplace choose someone who has a positive outlook and with whom you can have meaningful interaction. On a personal level – try to find someone supportive and not judgmental – friend, relative, husband, wife or your mother with whom you can share all your positive and negative experiences. This will clear the psychologically negative clutter, releasing those thoughts from your mind.
- Do Not Forget to Pamper Yourself – Love yourself! This will increase your self-confidence and also induce a positive mind-set. Whatever you do, maintain a “self-reflective” attitude to help maintain a healthy positive outlook. Non-judgmental, self-reflection allows you to effectively weed out unproductive behaviors, staying focused on keeping stress away. Take time to get a massage, read a book, walk on the beach, or soak in a bubble bath. Always pamper and nurture yourself by doing something for you!
A weekend break from your daily schedule will refresh you through and through; and help in releasing any kind of psychological stress!
Last but not the least — Do not hesitate to attend any kind of stress management training programs. If you feel that your burnout level is increasing and getting out of control, opt for proper counseling and psychological services without hesitation.